The Pennsylvania Forest system includes all regions of PA, including Amish Country.
Our forests offer recreational activities year round and include boating, hiking, biking, horseback riding, picnics, cross country skiing, snowmobiling plus more activities.
No matter what season you come to Pennsylvania to vacation in, you’ll find outdoor activities are plentiful.
The forests encompass many of our state parks here.
After a day of hiking, head to one of the parks and cool off in the water.
The kids will enjoy playing in the sand.
You’ll find them very peaceful and relaxing – a great place to see some of the outside beauty of the state.
The Hershey-Dutch Country Area encompasses the southeastern area of PA and includes 8 counties. You’ll find the Michaux State Forest and William Penn State Forest here.
The Allegheny National Forest Region is located in northwest PA and includes Clear Creek State Forest, Cornplanter State Forest, Elk State Forest and Susquehannock State Forest.
The Laurel Highlands-Southern Alleghenies Region is located in the southwestern and central region of the state. You’ll find Buchanan State Forest, Forbes State Forest, Gallitzin State Forest and Rothrock State Forest in this area.
The Pocono Mountains-Endless Mountains Area is in the northeastern area of Pennsylvania.
The Delaware State Forest, Lackawanna State Forest, Loyalsock State Forest, Tioga State Forest and Weiser State Forest await your visit in this area.
The Susquehanna Valleys Area is located in the center of the state and includes 12 counties.
You can visit Bald Eagle State Forest, Moshannon State Forest, Sproul State Forest, Tiadaghton State Forest and Tuscarora State Forest while you vacation here.
Amish Country State Forests
PA Amish Country (southeastern) area state forests are in the Dutch Country area of Pennsylvania.
Enjoy outdoor recreational fun for the entire family.
If you enjoy hiking, fishing, or biking, the forests offer outdoor fun for the entire family or couples.
Michaux State Forest
10099 Lincoln Way East
Fayetteville PA 17222
Located in Cumberland, Franklin and Adams County PA.
- trout fishing on lakes and reservoirs
- primitive camping
- horseback riding
- picnicking at Old Forge State Forest Picnic Area
- State Parks in Michaux – Caledonia, Pine Grove Furnace and Mont Alto
- The Appalachian Trail runs through Michaux north of the Maryland state line for almost 40 miles
- ATV trails are open summer (Memorial Day to last weekend in September) and winter (day after last day of deer season to April 1) in Adams & Cumberland Counties between Big Flat and Pine Grove Furnace State Park. Access at Big Flat on Shippensburg Road 1 1/4 miles N of intersection at Rte 233, and Piney Mountain on Bendersville Road S of Pine Grove Furnace State Park
- snowmobile trails – Adams County, forest’s southern section and Cumberland County, forest’s northern section
- Hotels by Michaux
William Penn State Forest
845 Park Road
Elverson PA 19520
Located in southwest Chester County, Delaware County, Bucks County, Lancaster County and Berks County PA.
- Goat Hill is in the southwest corner of Chester County with sloping land and hilltops overlooking Octoraro Creek. The Serpentine barrens within are uncommon to PA, and you can find endangered species of plants and animals here.
- Little Tinicum Island is in the Delaware River hosting tidal mud flats. You can find species of plants and animals not common to PA
- Octoraro Creek – a scenic stream is located here
Enjoy a cool, refreshing vacation in the forests and mountains of Pennsylvania on your PA getaway.